Download and Print Wisconsin Common Core State Standards for Literacy in All Subjects
Order Printed Wisconsin Common Core State Standards Guidance Documents
In addition to the Guiding Principles for Teaching and Learning, there are several foundational statements about disciplinary literacy that inform teaching and learning in Wisconsin. To read more about each principle, click on the foundations below.
WISCONSIN'S FOUNDATIONS FOR DISCIPLINARY LITERACY
- Academic learning begins in early childhood and develops across all disciplines.
- Content knowledge is strengthened when educators integrate discipline-specific literacy into teaching and learning.
- The literacy skills of reading, writing, listening, speaking and critical thinking improve when content-rich learning experiences motivate and engage students.
- Students demonstrate their content knowledge through reading, writing, listening, and speaking as part of a content-literate community.
Resources to Support each Discipline:
These links will take you to a Google website for the subject area chosen, written by the DPI consultant for that area with significant assistance and support from subject-area educators in the field. They are meant to be resources for educators, but also interactive; teachers can (and are encouraged to) comment, upload, and network about disciplinary literacy in their discipline.
Click on any subject to learn more.
|Art and Design Education|
|English Language Arts||Science|
|Environmental Education||Social Studies|
|Family & Consumer Sciences||Technology & Engineering|
|Health Education||World Languages|
|Health Science Occupations|
WISCONSIN'S APPROACH TO DISCIPLINARY LITERACY: USING THE STANDARDS
To see individual sections of the entire document, click below.
- Wisconsin's Approach to Academic Standards: Guiding Principles for Teaching and Learning
- Wisconsin's Approach to Literacy in All Subjects: What is Disciplinary Literacy?
- Common Core Standards for Literacy in All Subjects
- Research Briefs to Support Guiding Principles for Teaching and Learning
- Common Core Standards Appendix A: Research and Glossary of Terms
- Common Core Standards Appendix B: Complex Text Exemplars by grade level
- Common Core Standards Appendix C: Writing Samples by grade level
Research Supporting Disciplinary Literacy
- Common Core State Standards and Career and Technical Education
- Literacy Instruction in the Content Areas
- Reading in the Disciplines
- Teaching Disciplinary Literacy to Adolescents: Rethinking Content-Area Literacy
Wisconsin Advanced Manufacturing Pathways Education Network (WAMPEN)
The following videos, highlighting disciplinary literacy in advanced manufacturing, are produced cooperatively between WAMPEN, Northcentral Technical College, Wausau West and East, Spencer, and DC Everest, with production from Fox 55, Wausau.Learn more about the WAMPEN project at www.wampen.org. Find an explanation of all WAMPEN literacy strategies here. Find references used by WAMPEN in the creation of these strategies here. For more research-based literacy strategies, please visit http://www.wirticenter.com/strategiesbank/.
Introduction to Literacy Strategies
Literacy Skills and Comprehension
Strategies for Vocabulary Instruction
Find more vocabulary resources at http://bit.ly/WIvocab
Disciplinary Literacy as a Means of Building Engagement
Scaffolding Reading Comprehension by Identifying Prior Knowledge
Incorporating Writing Into All Classes
PowerPoint: Disciplinary Literacy: Why a Priority? - On the first screen, just enter your name; no recording key is necessary. This PowerPoint was given before we had a definite URL for the Disciplinary Literacy website. All information is located here.
Narrated PowerPoint: Disciplinary Literacy 101
University of Wisconsin-Madison Cooperative Children's Book Center
Presentation to All Milwaukee Public School Teachers on March 9, 2012 Shows Shifts Needed in the Classroom for CCSS Implementation
Example of Disciplinary Literacy in Social Studies
What is "Career Ready"? - Association for Career and Technical Education
Career Readiness - Association for Career and Technical Education
Center on Instruction
College and Career Readiness Standards and Assessments
College and Career Readiness Standards
Common Core State Standards & Career and Technical Education: Bridging the Divide between College and Career Readiness
Common Core Standards for English Language Arts
CTE in Math (videos at the bottom of page)
Doing What Works
Washington, DC: Georgetown Center on Education and the Workforce, 2010
The Hunt Institute Literacy in Other Disciplines
How ELA Standards apply -- and require mastery -- across several disciplines (History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects)
National High School Center focus on College and Career Readiness
"Pathways to Prosperity Project" - Harvard School of Education
Techniques Magazine - Published by the Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
Writing in a Digital Age